NGC 1097 Galaxy Black IPA
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: djeckert17 (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
|Brewer: Daniel|| |
|Batch Size: 11.75 gal||Style: Imperial IPA (14C)|
|Boil Size: 14.25 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2008|
|Color: 32.8 SRM||Equipment: Daniel's Equip 70QT - All Grain (w. DT)|
|Bitterness: 84.9 IBUs||Boil Time: 75 min|
|Est OG: 1.079 (19.0° P)||Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge|
|Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.6° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage|
|ABV: 9.1%||Taste Rating: 30.0|
||Primo IIPA Profile (High SO4 + Ca)
||Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min)
||Baking Soda (Mash 60 min)
||Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60 min)
||Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min)
||PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60 min)
||Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
||Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM)
|1 lbs 8.00 oz
||Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess - Organic) (60.0 SRM)
||Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (14.0 SRM)
||Chinook [11.1%] - Boil 80 min
||Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
||Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min)
||Galaxy [14.0%] - Steep 0 min
||Stella [15.0%] - Steep 0 min
||Chinook [11.1%] - Steep 0 min
||San Diego Super Yeast - WLP090 (White Labs #WLP090)
||Galaxy [14.0%] - Dry Hop 13 days
||Stella [15.0%] - Dry Hop 13 days
- Performed a single yeast starter at 2.8L and 3 vials.
T-1 BREW DAY
- Cold steeped Carafa III in 2qts per lb Primo Water. Will add to Wort at T-10 min left in Boil (DJE Note: I screwed this up. I actually steeped in 2 GAL of water vs 1 Gal. May dilute the color a bit, but I will only add 1 Gal or so to the wort at T-10).
- Milled grain about 10 hours before Mash-in.
- Not adding the Sugar or the Carafa until 10 min Left in Boil. As such the Gravities and volumes I'm looking to hit are as follows
- Collect 13.25 gal of wort in to boil kettle.
- Pre-Boil OG should be around 1.069 (w/o sugar / carafa) if my efficiencies hold.
- DID NOT Took actual temps of grain and mash tun prior to mashing
- HIt 149F in 8 min from initial strike temp…Finished around 146F
- Pre-Boil OG was 1.074. About 78% Mash Efficiency..Malt Mill delivered great results…remember to adjust future recipes.
- Removed Sugar from recipe, as I hit 1.083 post boil and thus didn't need the sugar to hit 1.080.
- Cooled to 64F in 35 min.
- Added yeast at 64F, and allowed it rise naturally to 66F. Held 66 for 4 days, then allowed it to rise to 68 and held for 1.5 days. Took back down to 66 after taking OG measurement on Day 6.
- Took Gravity reading on day 6 -- 1.020, and was still seeing periodic bubbling from FermLock. Hoping to get to 1.015. Day 9 of Fermentation hit 1.014.
- (Once Gravity hit, chilled down to 56 for 24 hours to floc yeast).
- Dry Hopped with a ~60%/40% blend of Galaxy/Stella at aggregate amount of .58 oz / gal (assuming ~12 gal of wort collected). Dry hop for 1.5 days at 68F, then dropped to 40F and hold for 10 days. Drain sediment and keg.
This Recipe Has Not Been Rated