Fat Bastard IPA

All Grain Recipe

Submitted By: Jimbo571 (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: James
Batch Size: 10.00 galStyle: American IPA (14B)
Boil Size: 13.96 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 7.6 SRMEquipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Bitterness: 55.1 IBUsBoil Time: 75 min
Est OG: 1.066 (16.1° P)Mash Profile: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.2° P)Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 7.0%Taste Rating: 30.0

Amount Name Type #
7.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
5.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60 min) Misc 3
19 lbs 4.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4
2 lbs 4.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 5
1 lbs 4.53 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6
6.84 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7
1.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.2%] - Boil 75 min Hops 8
2.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 9
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.2%] - Boil 10 min Hops 10
2.00 oz Simcoe [14.8%] - Boil 2 min Hops 11
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.2%] - Boil 2 min Hops 12
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.9%] - Steep 0 min Hops 13
1.0 pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast 14
4.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 15


Made starter 3 days in advance (Wednesday, brewed on Saturday) on stir plate. On Friday morning I put the starter in the refridgerator. Yeast (WLP001) looked very good, tons in solution. Mashed in at 160.8F for 75 mins Removed starter from refridgerator at approximately 9:30am. Placed it on stir plate to break up the cake and get it all back into solution. Left starter on stir plate until yeast was pitched (3:30pm). On first hop addition we had a boil over and lost some hops. Altered recipe to put in remaining CTZ for full 75 mins and cut out 25min addition (1.66oz total) Chilled with wort chiller. Had hose in long side which kept if further from the hot brew pot. Used plasitc spoon to stir outside of chiller. Removed chiller when wort reached 77F. Used plasic spoon to whirlpool for 5 to 10 mins after chiller was removed. After wort was drained into carboys a large cone of protien and hops was acheived in the center of the brew kettle. I was very pleased. Actual OG was 1.064 (target was 1.060). Pitched yeast after about 45mins. Yeast looked great! Fermented in primary for 3.5 weeks and dry hopped with 4oz Somcoe for last week. Cold crashed at 34F for 3 days before kegging in CO2 purged keg. Kegged one carboy after three days, FG 1.011! Beer had very strong initial hop flavor and aroma. simco hops produced a citrusy / piney flavor and adjuncts give a unique (in a good way) malt character. Left other carboy in the refridgerator as it still had a decent amount of yeast falling out of solution. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Second Brew day: Made 4L starter (target ~400 billion yeast cells) on Wednesday night (11/13/13) that sat on the stir plate until Friday night (11/15/13). I then moved the starter to the refrigerator until Sunday morning (brew day, 11/17/13) when I decanted off about 3.2L and put the remaining 0.8L on the stir plate to get all the yeast uniformly distibuted back into solution. Start heating mash water at 6:50am. Despite attempts to stabilize mash temperature (initially 151F, then added too much cold water to make it 145F, then added 185F water to bring it back to 148F) the mash ended at about 146F. Skipped infusion mash-out and instead just fired the mash tun to reach 167F and held for 15 mins (15 mins from when I fired burner to when I started lautering. Heating took about 8 minutes). Collected wort and ended up with a pre-boil gravity of 1.056 which was 9 pts higher than predicted. Need to update efficiency in Beersmith to (79%). Boil went as planned with only a tiny boil over. Cooled wort to 66F in 13 minutes while whirlpooling with a spoon. Continued to whirlpool for 25 minutes total (including cooling time). Drained wort into carboys and covered with sanatized foil while we cleaned the equipment. Poured yeast into a sanitized pitcher in order to measure the volume and split it equally beteween the two carboys. Pitched yeast into 65F wort at 1:15pm. Brew day including cleanup was less that 6 hours! At 7:30pm the temp had increased to approx 67F and the beer was bubbling. At 7:30 the following day (11/18/2013) beer was @69F. At 6:00pm on Tuesday (11/19/2013) the beer was back down at 67F. Fermented between 65F and 67F for three weeks. Took a gravity reading and found one carboy at 1.012 and the other at 1.013. Added a total of 4oz of Simcoe pellets and let dry hop for another week. Moved to refrigerator on Friday December 13th.

This Recipe Has Not Been Rated

This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine