Partial Mash Recipe
Submitted By: aholloway (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
|Brewer: Anthony Holloway|| |
|Batch Size: 5.50 gal||Style: Belgian Specialty Ale (16E)|
|Boil Size: 7.05 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2008|
|Color: 3.5 SRM||Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 10 Gal/39.8 L) - Extract/Partial Mash|
|Bitterness: 25.5 IBUs||Boil Time: 90 min|
|Est OG: 1.046 (11.4° P)||Mash Profile: Extract|
|Est FG: 1.011 SG (2.7° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage|
|ABV: 4.6%||Taste Rating: 40.0|
||Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
||Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 90 min] (3.5 SRM)
||Hallertauer [4.3%] - Boil 60 min
||Saaz [3.0%] - Boil 60 min
||Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 10 min] (3.5 SRM)
||Saaz [3.0%] - Boil 10 min
||Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787)
Taste NotesI think this one was outstanding. It has me inspired to explore more Belgian Trappist recipies.
Notes02/02/2012 - Volume 1ltr. Estimated viability 59.9%. Count estimate 304B. Temp 68ºF for 12-15 hours. Refrigerate & decant. I gave myself plenty of time this batch.
Using a 10gal pot. Going to do a full boil this time around.
02/04/2012 Decanted starter wart. Left out to raise temp to room 68º
Steeped grain for 30 minutes at 170ºF in 1/2 gallon of water.
Preboiled 1 gallon of water in case I need it to top off batch.
Added steeped grain wort to 6gal of water and bring to a boil
Boiled 6 gal of Hinkley Springs water. Doing a full boil took forever to bring to a boil. It took about two hours longer than expected.
Added 6lb of Pilson malt extract syrup. I added all of the extract at one time because I am doing a full boil. Boiled for 60 minutes. Added 1oz Hallertauer & 1/2oz Saaz hopps 60 minutes.
10 minutes 1/2oz Saaz hopps.
Airated for 3 hours
02/04/2012 10:30PM 00:00 hours OG 1.042. Surprised at how low the OG was. May have added too mush water. Added approx 1 gal of water to bring batch to 6gal. Pitched yeast at 72ºF. Set temp controller at 67ºF. Using the same fermintation profile as previous batches - 68ºF for first 1/3 of fermentation and raise to 74ºF until ferments out.
02/05/2012 07:30AM Bubbling away. Temp at 69ºF. I am not taking a gravity reading until 24 hours.
02/05/2012 09:30PM Gravity 1.026. Temp 68ºF Raising the temp controller to 73ºF until it ferments out.
02/06/2012 08:00AM Temp 74ºF. Huge mess. Blocked air lock and yeast overflowing. Cleaned everything up and then pushed the thermowell into carboy. I have no idea how I am going to get it out. Probably infected beer to boot. Bad morning. Taped temp sensor to side of carboy. I must have turned the temp controller up too fast. Also did not leave enough head room in the carboy. Cleaned and replace air lock and it clogged a second time. Removed it. Changed air lock set up to hose into a bucket of sanitizer.
02/06/2012 09:00AM Seems to be working. The fermentation is going crazy though. VERY VERY active swirling and bubbling like crazy. This is the first time I used the Trappist High Gravity yeast. There is a big difference. Really not sure how this batch will turn out. Even if it turns out well I will not be able to duplicate this in the future.
02/07/2012 12:00PM Transfered to SV. All went well. Temp started at 74º & dropped 2ºF during transfer. Within an hour it was back up to 74ºF. The batch started bubbling again 2-3/min. Do not really think much of it. I do not think the yeast are re-activating just stired things up a but. Did not take a gravity reading. Plan to leave it for two weeks. Did not see the point of taking one. At this point I plan to leave it alone. There was enough drama with this batch. Plan to cold crash on
02/21/2012 Cold crashing. Moved carboy to fridge. 34ºF
02/23/2012 Kegged beer. Still did not get a full 5 gallons. It is about 4 3/4 gal in the keg. Initial pressure setting is 15lbs at 37ºF. Plan to leave it for 2-3 days. Final Gravity 1.010