Schoodic Rye Ale, Batch 48

All Grain Recipe

Submitted By: brett (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: Brett Binns
Batch Size: 5.50 galStyle: Best Bitter (11B)
Boil Size: 7.04 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 12.8 SRMEquipment: 10 Gallon BoilerMakerâ„¢ (5 gal/19 L)
Bitterness: 34.8 IBUsBoil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.044 (11.1° P)Mash Profile: Brett's Medium Body with dough in and mash out, 1.25 qt/lb
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.3° P)Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 4.1%Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
4.00 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1
4 lbs 8.00 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs 8.00 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs 8.00 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5
6.00 oz DME CBW Pilsen Light (Briess) (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 6
2.50 oz Fuggles [3.2%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7
0.50 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 8
1.00 oz Fuggles [3.2%] - Boil 10 min Hops 9
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Misc 10
0.60 oz Fuggles [3.2%] - Boil 2 min Hops 11
1 pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast 12

Notes

2017-09-15: Making starter per Starter tab. Starting with 1L water before 10 minutes of boil and hoping for around .75L. I started the 10 minute boil at 18:15 so its a late start. 2017-09-16: Brew Day: Shy on grain from what I thought I had. Low by 1# of Maris Otter. Adding DME to boil to make up part of deficit. Water level below BrewMometer in 10 G MT so I added a gallon of water to bring the water/grain ratio up to 1.35. Seems reasonable anyway. Rice hulls plugged the Flow Meter. Took it apart from the top to clear it. Lesson: Don't put any hulls in on the bed - mix it all in with the grain. Bad day. I did not enter Top Link program correctly and it ended at the end of the Beta-glucan Rest. Result was not a big deal, only that we held on the rest for an extra 10 minutes or so until I made the needed edits and restarted the Profile. No Measured Post Mash Gravity as the DME was in the BK waiting for the wort to arrive. Too much wort gathered. I need to stop worrying about what's in the RIMSRocket. It's irrelevant. I will boil some of it away, csrewing up my numbers, but having the right OG and volume I suspect. 7.25G is low enough, here we go... OG = 1.043 on the refractometer and hydromeer shows 1.042@82.0°F or 1.045. Splitting the difference... 2017-09-17: Bubbling away but the room temp stayed high (70°F) from brewing and the wort reached up to 72°F, Too high. It's cool out. I think I will run the fan for a spell. 2017-09-18: While room temps this morning were still around 70°F hey have now dropped back to the desired 68°F and the fermentors have also dropped some. 2017-09-19: Room temps are back down to 66°F and the wort temp is dropping as well. Krausen fell back in overnight and bubbling has slowed. 2017-10-05: FG is 1.012@66.2°F or 1.013. It's ready for the keg. Racked tp Keg 3 and pressurized warm to 30 psi with CO2.