All Grain Recipe

Submitted By: etcetrah (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: Kevin Lindley
Batch Size: 2.75 galStyle: Saison (25B)
Boil Size: 4.14 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 5.4 SRMEquipment: My Equipment
Bitterness: 26.9 IBUsBoil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.063 (15.4° P)Mash Profile: BIAB, Light Body
Est FG: 1.005 SG (1.3° P)Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 7.7%Taste Rating: 30.0

Amount Name Type #
3.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
2.50 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
1.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 3
4 lbs Foundation 2 row (2.5 SRM) Grain 4
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6
0.58 oz Centennial [7.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 8
0.49 oz Saaz [3.3%] - Boil 10 min Hops 9
8.00 oz Cane (Beet) Sugar [Boil for 10 min] (0.0 SRM) Sugar 10
0.49 oz Saaz [3.3%] - Steep 0 min Hops 11
1 pkgs French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) Yeast 12
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3 days) Misc 13


9/14/2018 Recipe Notes: Used Canada Malting White Wheat and Bestmalz Dark Munich Efficiency was not good. Maybe I need to tighten the crush gap, esp. when wheat is a significant portion of grist. Mash pH was slightly higher than predicted by Brun Water. I think this was because the volume was slightly larger than I input into the program. BS had me use just over 18 quarts and I put 4.3 gal into BW. Tested mash pH about 15-20 minutes into mash and got 5.45. Added a dash of lactic acid to mash then retested and got 5.23. Held mash right at 149F for one hour Sugar was added last ten minutes of the boil Maybe final volume was too high, i.e did not boil off enough water Yeast was smack pack man. date June 8, so several months old. Added to 800 ml of canned wort on stir plate for about 3 hours prior to pitching. The starter was just starting to show signs of foam when pitched. As usual, cooled to approximately 75F, then aerated for 30 minutes prior to placing in fermentation chamber. Pitched yeast the last 10 minutes of aeration. Fermenting in a five gallon keg with an open ended tube attached to gas-in post. Open end of tube placed in container of star-san for airlock. A dozen or so fruit flies got into starsan last time, so this time I put foil wrapper over lid and pressed tight to the tube. Should still let CO2 out but hopefully let in fewer bugs. Side Note: Hurricane Florence made landfall today in the Wilmington area. I was off work today (Friday) because of it, but luckily did not lose power. As I type this the next day (Saturday), we have lost power and the rain is pouring outside. 9/15/18 - Beer is fermenting well. Lifted blow off to surface of liquid to release pressure on the fermenting beer.
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine