I Feel Fine (It's The End of The World)

All Grain Recipe

Submitted By: Stephonovich (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: Zlotnik
Batch Size: 5.25 galStyle: Imperial Stout (20C)
Boil Size: 7.73 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 71.7 SRMEquipment: Blichmann BIAB
Bitterness: 81.4 IBUsBoil Time: 120 min
Est OG: 1.123 (28.6° P)Mash Profile: BIAB, Full Body
Est FG: 1.025 SG (6.4° P)Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 13.0%Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
16 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1
3 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs 12.00 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs 12.00 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5
1 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6
8.00 oz Kiln Coffee (225.0 SRM) Grain 7
4.00 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10
3.25 oz Magnum [9.3%] - Boil 120 min Hops 11
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 12
1.0 pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast 13

Taste Notes

Nice jalapeno burn at cooling, along with a delicious cocoa and huge malt taste. Delicious but odd smell from mash and boil kettle. Can’t place it, but it’s familiar. *Spiciness, like rye. It’s present before hops are added. All I can assume is that it’s the grain bill working together. **Spiciness during boil is mostly gone after remake of the recipe, although having subbed Magnum in, there’s an almost bubblegum aroma. ———————————— Don’t bother with the Candi Syrup, you don’t taste it, and it’s expensive. Use sugar. Used a whole ancho, a whole chipotle (couldn’t find guajillo), and a poblano. I think it’s the right amount of heat, but I might try soaking another chipotle for more sweet smokiness. Coffee flavor is a bit strong, and between the chocolate powder and peppers, it’s impossible to tell if the cinnamon is present. I’ll double it to 1 tsp next time. Similarly with the orange - I think a freshly zested orange next time might be nice. Taste improved after a few months, as is expected for big stouts. Definitely more coffee and chocolate than anything, with a slight burn, but it’s at least coherent.

Notes

Did as BIAB; neglected to do a beta rest, and had inital temps of ~164 F. Added ice cubes to knock it down to 152 F. Had terrible efficiency (1.056 pre-boil OG), did small sparge, and re-mashed. Got OG up to 1.067 by stirring a lot, mashing out, and doing another small sparge. Ended up with 8 gallons, so increased boil to 137 minutes, dropped hops to 60 minutes. Ended up collecting 4.5 gallons at 1.113 OG. Adjusted boil-off rate in profile for future. Reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2lbppf/extracted_betaamylase_from_sweet_potatoes_saved/ F.G. was stuck at 1.056, extracted beta-amylase to drop to 1.043. Added AMG-300L to drop to 1.032. Added Beano to get to 1.025. For spices, muddle and mix with enough boiling water to form a paste, throw in at flame-out. 45g Cocoa 1 Vanilla Bean 1.5g Cinnamon 7g Sweet Orange Peel -Orange Peel not readily apparent in flavors. *Upped to 12g bitter. 1/2 an Ancho Pepper (Dried) 1/2 a Guajillo Pepper (Dried) Alternate: 2 roasted jalapenos, covered in Agave Add fermcap to fermenter, and blow-off tube! -Decided not to add fermcap; it was fine. Even the blow-off tube may not have been needed, as I got no krausen into the bucket. Fermenter was a 6.5 gallon carboy. Probably due to 1728’s tendency to plod slowly along. ———————————— Total redo of the recipe, attempting to get more inline with Mexican Cake, but with a different approach - big oat percentage. ———————————— Here we go again. Collected ~7.5 gallons @ 1.072 preboil. 1# of D-240 candi syrup to be added post-boil, which will bring up gravity 6.4 points. After a 120 minute boil, collected ~5.25 gallons @ 1.112, for an efficiency of 65%, which is about what I can expect for such a big beer. I put in the spices at flameout, per the above recipe, but will be holding off on chile adds until after fermentation is complete. Fermenting at 55 F - 1728 likes it that cold. Post-ferment: Had issues fermenting. Wouldn’t drop below ~1.036, which isn’t awful compared to the last disaster, but still not great. Switching out the Munich for Vienna next time around - should be the same flavor, but the diastatic power is much higher. Also, adding the lactose back in, like I used to do - albeit only 1#. See taste notes.

This Recipe Has Not Been Rated

x
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine