Faucet-Clogger Black Forest Stout

All Grain Recipe

Submitted By: Kaffeedog (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: Vince Dongarra
Batch Size: 11.00 galStyle: American Stout (13E)
Boil Size: 13.09 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 39.3 SRMEquipment: my gear Brew Pot (15 Gal) and 48 quart cooler
Bitterness: 56.0 IBUsBoil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.063 (15.6° P)Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.6° P)Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 6.5%Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1
15 lbs 8.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2
4 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4
2 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5
2 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 7
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 8
8.00 oz Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 9
8.00 oz Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 10
4.00 oz Willamette [4.7%] - First Wort Hops 11
2.65 oz Mt. Hood [5.2%] - First Wort Hops 12
2 pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast 13

Taste Notes

1/15/2012: Plain Version Kegged up and still yeasty. Nice Rye flavor. Sooooo thick and creamy. Intense bitter/roastiness is great to sniff, with flavor and just a bit of aroma of english hops coming through (or is that spiciness the rye?). A bit intense, but nice.

Notes

Goal is to brew this, drink half plain, and drink the other half after putting it on some sour cherries (if I can find them) in the secondary. If I can't find sour cherries, I may use tart cherry juice concentrate. We'll see. Palmer's spreadsheet is telling me to add a sweet silent ton of chalk, so I'm ignoring it and adding nothing. We'll see what happens. I may leave out the roasted barley long enough to get a good conversion. Absolutely horrible mash. Stuck awfully. Had to batch sparge 5 or six times. Missed my strike temp at 145 and had to pull a thick decoction to get up to 153. At that point, it had been 20 minutes and the wort was sweet, so I mixed in the roasted barley and let sit for another 60 minutes. Ended up getting more pre boil than I meant and ended up with 11 gallons after boil in the fermenters. I used about half a packet of foam control, and didn't have a boil over, so maybe this is the way to go. Pitched around 900ml of starter into each bucket. Very active fermentation as of the next day. Not sure when it started. Racked first bucket into a keg on 1/12/12 after 2 weeks. A bit of a sulphur nose, but not bad. Amazing quantity of yeast in the bottom. Makes me feel like this was properly pitched. I think I know what they mean by "spicy" rye flavor. Smells a bit like I've added ginger and cinamon...not like ginger and cinamon, but like ginger and cinamon that's been fermented. Decided to rack the 2nd five gallons onto 4 oz of cocoa powder slurry (mixed w/ just enough boiled water to mix) and cherries. Had a grand Mardi Gras Party and half of each keg was drunk. I combined them, and let them sit cold in the kegerator for a 40-day beer fast (so hard!!) and found the effects of lagering quite positive.