Paranormal Porter

Extract Recipe

Submitted By: Domes (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: Uncle Mickey
Batch Size: 5.00 galStyle: Brown Porter (12A)
Boil Size: 5.00 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 24.0 SRMEquipment: My Equipment
Bitterness: 22.6 IBUsBoil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.053 (13.1° P)
Est FG: 1.011 SG (2.8° P)Fermentation: My Aging Profile
ABV: 5.5%Taste Rating: 41.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
12.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 1
8.00 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3
1 lbs 10.08 oz Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 4
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.8%] - Boil 60 min Hops 7
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.8%] - Boil 30 min Hops 8
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 9
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.8%] - Boil 10 min Hops 10
1 pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) Yeast 11
3.00 Vanilla Bean (Secondary 3 weeks) Misc 12
6.00 oz Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa (100% Cacao powder) (Secondary 2 weeks) Misc 13

Taste Notes

Absolutely delicious! Very strong chocolate. Don't need to change anything except to boil the chocolate from the start to eliminate oils. Perhaps a pound or two of raspberry would put this over the top! Try Northern Brewer hops next time.

Notes

I'm shooting for a medium-body, semi-sweet brown porter wtih a somewhat mild bitterness profile, a vanilla taste, and a bit fruity yeast taste . No burnt flavor from the malt so I'm not using black malt. Started with 4.0 gallons and heated water to 170 deg. Put Carmel and Cocolate Malt in water shut off heat and let sit for 30 minutes. Turned heat back on and heat to 170 deg. and removed grains. Added DME and started boil. Nearly had a boil over even with new pot. Added hops according to schedule. Added chocolate cacao and lactose at 45 minutes. Added irish moss at 10 minutes. Original gravity 1.050. Dark, dark color. I think it's the dark chocolate. No foam when I used the aeratopr (10 min.). It could be due to oils from the chocolate. Will add some heading compound. Probably need to boil it more next time. Chocolate seems a bit stronger than I wanted. May have to add some more lactose. Panic! No signs of fermentation for over 50 hours. The aerator hose may have disconnected. I decided to hook up the aerator again and pump 10 min. oxygen into it. It started fermenting pretty well the next day. Very strange. Transferred after a week and it taste great! Added three vanilla beasn split in two inch long section and cut open. Also, added and extra .25 pds. lactose to give it just a bit more sweetness.