Formerly Unplanned Cologne Kolsch (2 ratings)
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: gowenrw (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
|Brewer: Richard Gowen|| |
|Batch Size: 5.00 gal||Style: Imperial IPA (14C)|
|Boil Size: 6.46 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2008|
|Color: 14.8 SRM||Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain|
|Bitterness: 120.0 IBUs||Boil Time: 60 min|
|Est OG: 1.097 (23.2° P)||Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out|
|Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.6° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage|
|ABV: 11.1%||Taste Rating: 30.0|
||PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60 min)
|12 lbs 8.00 oz
||Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
||Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM)
||Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
||Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
||Honey (1.0 SRM)
||Warrior [16.7%] - Boil 60 min
||Simcoe [12.2%] - Boil 15 min
||Warrior [15.0%] - Boil 15 min
||Irish Moss (Boil 10 min)
||Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min)
||Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
||American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
NotesSteps to this recipe
* Clean and Sanitize everything.
* Start heating just under 6 Gal of water to 158 F for the mash.
* Add PH stabilizer to the water.
* While mash water is heating mill all the grains (don't mill the corn flakes).
* Add the mash water at 158 F to the mash tun (adding grains will reduce this to 148 F).
* Add the grains includig corn to the mash tun stiring to release air trapped in the grains.
* Cap the mash tun and let the grains steep at 148 F for 75 min.
* Start heating about 3 1/2 Gal of water to 168 F for sparging about 45-50 min after starting steep.
* Add the sparge water at 168 F to the sparge bucket and secure hose for fly sparging.
* Take first runnings from the mash testing sugar content to ensure completion
* Fly sparge the mash adding the wort to the brew kettle at the same rate sparge water enters the mash tun
* Stop collecting wort when you have just under 6 1/2 Gal or when runnings measure 1.010 specific gravity.
* Start heating the wort to a boil.
* Add honey to the wort while heating.
* Add bittering hops to the wort once it is at a rolling boil and start timing your 60 min boil time.
* Add aroma hops to the wort 45 minutes into the boil (15 min remaining)
* Add irish moss (clarifier) and yeast nutrient to the wort 50 minutes into the boil (10 min remaining)
* When boil is finished remove from heat and crash cool the wort using a chiller or external ice
* Once wort has reached approximatly 78 F transfer to fermentation bucket
* Take a specific gravity reading and record this as yout original gravity
* Pitch both yeast types and airate.
* Seal the fermenter with an airlock and wait for it to transform itself into the nectar of the gods.