Submitted By: aholloway (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
|Brewer: Anthony Holloway|| |
|Batch Size: 5.00 gal||Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer ( 6D)|
|Boil Size: 2.50 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2008|
|Color: 6.4 SRM||Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 6 Gal/19 L) - Extract/Partial Mash|
|Bitterness: 27.3 IBUs||Boil Time: 90 min|
|Est OG: 1.043 (10.7° P)|| |
|Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.6° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage|
|ABV: 4.3%||Taste Rating: 0.0|
||Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
||Willamette [5.5%] - Boil 60 min
||Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 30 min
||Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min
||Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 5 min] (8.0 SRM)
||American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)
||Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 3 days
Taste NotesDuring fumentation it was a little sweet then watery and hoppy finish.
After carbonation very smooth nice body and nice hop finish.
I am very please with this first attempt.
NotesStarter estimated 76% viability. Stirred for 13.5 hours. Temp 68F, 70F, 72F, 70F. Put in fridge for 5 hours. Decanted not sure if I poured some yeast out? Grrr. Next time I will rack wort off of chilled yeast. Set out at room temp for 4 hours
Pre-boiled 3.5 gallons of Hinkley Springs bottled water night before.
Added pre-boiled water to carboy. Arreated water with aquarium pump for 3 hours.
Boiled 2.5g of hinkley springs bottled water.
60 Min: Added 3.3lbs of wheat malt syrup 65% wheat 35% barley. Added 1oz Willamette hopps for bittering. Boiled until the hot break.
30 Min: Added .333oz Cascade hopps for aroma
15 Min: Added .333oz Cascade hopps for aroma
5 Min: Added remaining 3.3lbs of wheat malt syrup
Cooled wort with imersion chiller. Temp went from boiling to 70F in 10 minutes.
Transfered wort to carboy. There was no sludge in bottom of pan. Stirred continuously I hope I did not mess up. There was considerable evaporation. I think I will start with 3.5g of water next time. Topped off carboy with pre-boiled water to get to 5g.
Arreated wort for 30 minutes.
Pitch yeast: Temp: 70
- Original Gravity & Temp: 1.05 70F Had trouble with thermowell & temp probe. Concerned the probe says 66F. Adjusted temp setting to 62F
- 12 Hour Gravity & Temp: 1.032 75F Temp went to 75F overnight. Adjusted temp. This is not working. Thermowell is defective. I tapped temp probe to side of carboy. Added a heating pad
- 24 Hour Gravity & Temp: 1.018 74F Temp has stabalized. Still not confident in temp controll. Racked to 5 gallon fermentor. Temp dropped to 70F. Dry hopped by adding 1/3oz of Cascade hopps to SV. Fermentation seems to have slowed considerably about 7 bubbles per minute.
- 36 Hour Gravity & Temp: 1.018 74F
- 48 Hour Gravity & Temp: 1.015 75F
- 60 Hour Gravity & Temp: 1.014 74F
- Day 4 74F - Four bubbles per minute
- Day 5 74F - Three bubbles per minute
- Day 6 74F - Appears to be finished. One bubble per minute
- Day 7 75F - Done. No activity
- Day 8 75F
- Day 9 74F
- Day 10 74F
- Day 11 75F
- Day 12 74F Moved to fridge to cold crash. Temp in fridge is 33-37F. Plan to leave it for 2-3 days.
- Day 14 36F Racked to keg and began carbonation. Started with the chart recomendation of 10 psi.
- Day 15 Very little carbonation. Increased pressure to 20psi.
- Day 16 Nicely carbonated. Bubbles are very fine. Some people may prefer more carbonation. Beer taste really good. Smooth medium body and nice hoppy finish. Prety balanced. Very pleased with first batch of beer.