Schoodic Dark Mild, Batch 47
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: brett (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
|Brewer: Brett Binns|| |
|Batch Size: 5.50 gal||Style: Dark Mild (13A)|
|Boil Size: 7.04 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2015|
|Color: 28.1 SRM||Equipment: 7.5 Gallon BoilerMaker™ (5 gal/19 L)|
|Bitterness: 24.2 IBUs||Boil Time: 90 min|
|Est OG: 1.033 (8.3° P)||Mash Profile: Brett's Medium Body with dough in and mash out, 1.5 qt/lb|
|Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.5° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage|
|ABV: 3.0%||Taste Rating: 30.0|
||Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
||Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
||Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
||Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
||Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)
||Fuggles [3.2%] - Boil 60 min
||Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
||Fuggles [3.2%] - Boil 15 min
||Fuggles [3.2%] - Boil 10 min
||Wyeast Beer Yeast Nutrient Blend (Boil 10 min)
||London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)
Taste NotesMost likely too roasty. I added the Special B without backing out the Black (Patent) Malt. Remove Black (Patent) Malt next time, or return to original Bateman’s recipe, or compromise between the two.
NotesStarted with my version of Bateman’s dark mild and added Special B for more dark fruit flavor. This will be very dark. 1L of water gives 0.75 starter after boil.
I suspect I have made this excessively dark with the Special B and that a better approach might have been to replace the Black Malt (or a portion of it) with the Special B instead of adding to it. I suspect that this will be closer to a low gravity stout - OK with me but not what was instended. I wanted to get the dark fruit flavors added to my pior mild.
2017-09-10: Brew Day - Failed to start timer so mash-in ran ~30 minutes. Bugs in the grain barrel caused panic but they were not in the grain! Yeast starter begun last night - first time using Maelstrom - awesome. Playing Led Zeppelin today! :-)
Water to grain ratio was changed to 1.5, this measured in the MT and not counting whats in the lines, pump, flowmeter and RIMSRocket. This ratio worked out with this amount of grain and the 7.5 G MT to sink the BrewMometer by about an inch under the wort and grain.
Catastrophe while I paused to have lunch. Even though I shut the pump off, I failed to close the valves and I continued to gravty feed. I now have 9+ gallons of wort that produced am End of Runnings SG of 1.004. My plan is to boil until I reach 7 G and then start the timers as planned. It is going to be a long afternoon. At 14.9% boil-off (from HW Profile), Boil-Off Tool predicts 90 minutes. 60min + 90min is 150min. Changing recipe… Nope. Need to pick it up to 180 minutes before I rid myself of that much water. That seems long…but here it goes… Boil started at 13:57. 7 G reached at 15:34 - that’s 1 hour 33 minutes, roughly 1.5 hours for 2.5 G. I still have twenty minutes on the timer. I think I will stop it and go back to the old program now. SO, WHEN DONE IT WILL BE A 2 HOUR 40 MINUTE BOIL.
2017-09-11: Fermentation going strong at around 69°F, a little warmer than desired but within limits.
2017-09-13: While slow yesterday, bubbling is realy down today. Close to going to secondary. Temp has dropped to match room at 66°F.
2017-09-15: Primary fermentation is done but I am not going to rack to secondary as this will finish up quickly and I also want to minimize losses due to transfer.
2017-09-19: Room temps high after brewing the RPA but are back down to 66°F.
2017-09-21: Recording SG via hydrometer at firstname.lastname@example.org°F or 1.015. Maybe a touch high still.
2017-10-05: FG is email@example.com or 1.013. Excellent. Racking to Keg 1.