WildBrews Fanders Red, Batch 46
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: brett (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes
|Brewer: Brett Binns|| |
|Batch Size: 5.50 gal||Style: Flanders Red Ale (23B)|
|Boil Size: 8.09 gal||Style Guide: BJCP 2015|
|Color: 15.2 SRM||Equipment: 7.5 Gallon BoilerMaker™ (5 gal/19 L)|
|Bitterness: 13.0 IBUs||Boil Time: 60 min|
|Est OG: 1.054 (13.2° P)||Mash Profile: Temperature Mash, 4 Step, Light Body Flanders Red|
|Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.8° P)||Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Extended Aging|
|ABV: 5.0%||Taste Rating: 30.0|
||Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
||Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
||Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
||Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
||Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
||Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
||Styrian Goldings [2.8%] - Boil 60 min
||Fuggles [3.0%] - Boil 60 min
||Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min)
||Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast Labs #3763)
NotesPG 257 of Sparrow’s Wild Brews
2017-02-27: CSFH provided a year old Wyeast 3763 yeast for free. This tool puts its viability at under 7%. Blended yeast/bacteria can not be used to build up a starter as the relative quantities will be thrown off. Josh can’t get me anymore in a timely fashion.
2017-04-06: I ordered the yeast blend from MyLHBS and received new yeast with a 2017-03-13 date. I also bought an alternative hops, Styrian Goldings. The Alpha Acid was low on it so I will supplement with Fuggles. It is all 60 min boil addition so it should not be overly sensitive to what I use.
2017-04-07: Brewday. Using the new 7.5G BoilerMaker MT and the new hop basket, both received from Celina at Christmas time. Love’n them!
Measured mash pH at end of saccharification at 4.6 - too low! Need to concider correcting in future. Last runnings of 1.012 good and pre-boil gravity dead-on, so I am not sure how it is impacting me.
Darn, bad valve configuration meant I lost a half gallon to the floor. I would have gotten 5.5 G if I hadn’t screwed up even though it looked like I was high. Trust BeerSmith and don’t screw up!
FG, via spectrometer, is 1.058-, roughly 14.8 or 14.9 Brix. 15:15: Yeast pitched and I am cleaning up. I am glad I started early today (0700 or so).
2017-04-08: I checked it this morning and although the room was at 68F, the fermenter was still showing 66 or 67F and bubbling had not yet started. This was at 10AM. I pushed the temp in the room up to 72F and this evening around 19:00 the wort is aT 68F and is now bubbling with a good head of krausen.
2017-04-09: Bubbling began roughly 24 hours after pitching - I was a bit surprised after using two packets of yeast and using pure oxygen before pitching. Bubbling is steady but not crazy.
2017-04-15: Bubbling has slowed to a crawl and temp noted at 67F. To little exothermic fermentation to keep the temp up I assume. I raised the room temp one degree to 70F.
2017-04-16: Temp back up to 68F and continued slow bubbling.
2017-04-24: It has been the better part of a week that the krausen is gone and bubling has stopped. I dropped the room temp to 65F and the brew is at around 66F.
2017-04-29: Racking to 5G glass carboy secondary. Refracyometer reads 1.033 SG or 8.5 Brix. Depending on which of those two measurements you use that results in a current SG between 1.017 and 1.018. I tasted the small sample taken and it is showing Brettanomycies characteristics and is generally pleasant. I will move the carboy into the pump room in the house for long term cool storage.
2017-04-30: Despite dropping to 60°F in it’s new pump room location, bubbling has resumed!
2017-05-01: Additional reading shows that the included lactobasilicus needs to remain above 60F (which it has dropped below) and the Wyeast site says to keep Roesalere between 65 and 85F. I am moving it back to the brewery and setting the temp to 68F to moderate the acidity. Summer temps may go higher.
2017-05-02: Temp of carboy up to 61F. I am confused concerning the conflicting information from different sources. WildBrews says that Rodenbach proceeds with secondary fermentation at 59F, that is below the range for lactobascilicus, despite that it also says that they rely on lactobasilicus. I guess I will target 65F. Changing room temp once again - since I seem to lag the room temp in the carboy I will set the room to 66F.