Bateman's Dark Mild, Batch 40

All Grain Recipe

Submitted By: brett (Shared)
Members can download and share recipes

Brewer: Brett Binns
Batch Size: 5.50 galStyle: Dark Mild (13A)
Boil Size: 7.56 galStyle Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 23.8 SRMEquipment: 10 Gallon BoilerMakerâ„¢ (5 gal/19 L)
Bitterness: 21.2 IBUsBoil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.033 (8.2° P)Mash Profile: Brett's Medium Body with dough in and mash out, 1.5 qt/lb
Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.4° P)Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 3.0%Taste Rating: 30.0

Amount Name Type #
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1
12.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2
8.00 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3
4.00 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4
0.90 oz Fuggles [4.1%] - Boil 90 min Hops 5
0.50 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min) Misc 6
0.80 oz Fuggles [4.1%] - Boil 10 min Hops 7
0.25 tsp Wyeast Beer Yeast Nutrient Blend (Boil 10 min) Misc 8
1 pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast 9


From CAMRA’s Brew Your Own British Real Ale, pg 107. Units converted and hops changed to all Challenger to achieve whole once portions. Unless specified otherwise, this book uses a “Standard” Crystal Malt of 150 EBC which translates to 56ºL. I uped this to 80L in my choice of Crystal Malt, but a 60L would be closer. This makes little color difference, a fraction of an SRM, but I would prefer the “darker” taste. Ver 1.0 reflects my original formulation. Ver 1.1 adjusts for available ingredients. Torrified wheat for flaked. Fuggles for Challenger keeping the IBUs close. Wyeast 1768 English Special Bitter for London ESB. 2016-05-04: Creating starter. English Special Bitter packet blew out when I tried to break the inner packet. Using Lonsdon ESB instead. 1L liquor resulted in .75L of wort after starter boil - just fine. Adjusted hops for Fuggles being 4.1 instead of 4.5. 2016-05-05: Brew day. Initially made mash ratio of 1.5 instead of my usual 1.25 in the hopes of getting this low OG beer up to the BrewMometer and so that the AutoSparge would work. No luck. Added an extra 5.5 quarts to get just above the BrewMometer (4G total). That works out to a ratio of 2.35! The mash stuck half way through sacrification. The bed keeps setting up like a rock. I'm stirring plenty and trying to keep it in suspension. Small ales on this rig is difficult! Final volume was 5.0G and not 5.5G. Original specific gravity was high, 1.040 instead of 1.033. I think we are OK in the end, but that wasn't as much fun as usual. OG measurements all showed 1.040 regardless of temp (as it cooled). Very strange. This matched refractometer so that is what I recorded. Rough day. During sparge the pump would occasionally squeal and stop flowing. Turning off would correct. Problem completely gone during cleaning pumping. 2016-05-12: Racking to secondary. SG = 1.012@65.9 or 1.013. 2016-05-23: Racked to keg. FG = 1.012@64.1 or 1.012. Flavor is good. Looking forward to it being chilled and carbonated.
This website is using cookies. More info. That's Fine